US President Donald Trump said that the United States would announce “certain decisions” on China on Friday, reiterating that Beijing should have stopped the deadly COVID-19 outbreak at the source.
Many countries, following the US, has criticised China for its role in the spread of the novel coronavirus and its failure to provide timely information about the disease that has killed more than three lakh people worldwide and caused immeasurable devastation to both human life and the global economy.
The US president and his administration have been increasingly critical of China and have alleged that the highly infectious virus has man-made origins and it has emerged from a bio-lab in the central Chinese city of Wuhan. The US has been pushing China to agree for an inquiry into the origin of the virus.
The coronavirus, which first emerged in China last December, has so far infected over 5.8 million people, out of which 1.7 million are from the US alone.
“Tomorrow, we’re going to be having a press conference on China. So, we’ll be making certain decisions and we’ll be discussing them tomorrow,” Trump told reporters at the White House on Thursday.
“It’s a very sad situation. It should have never happened. China should have stopped it at the source, but they didn’t do that,” Trump said.
On May 14, Trump had threatened to “cut off the whole relationship” with China.
Meanwhile, China has maintained its stance and rejected all US allegations of a cover up regarding the COVID-19.
Previously, Trump also lashed out at the World Health Organisation for siding with China and labelled them "Puppets." He accused the global organisation of being "China centric."