WASHINGTON: In response to a rocket attack last week on a military base near Baghdad, US forces launched an airstrike against the Shia militia group in Iraq. The last week's rocket attack killed a British service member and two American soldiers.
In a statement on Thursday night, the Department of Defence said, "Earlier this evening, the US conducted defensive precision strikes against Kata'ib Hezbollah (KH) facilities across Iraq."
The statement added that the strikes targeted 5 arms storage facilities in order to degrade their ability to conduct any future attacks against coalition forces. It also said that these weapon storage facilities include the facilities that housed weapons used to target the US and its coalition troops, reported the Xinhua news agency.
Mark Esper, Secretary of Defense, said in a statement, "The US will not tolerate attacks against our people, our interests, or our allies."
Besides the casualties, 14 others were also wounded in the rocket attack on Iran's camp Taji on Wednesday, according to the statement.
The US-led coalition force said that approximately 18 rockets struck the base, adding that Iraqi Security Forces had found a rocket-rigged truck a few miles from the Camp Taji.
The United States claimed that Kata'ib Hezbollah was responsible for a number of attacks against America and Coalition Forces in Iraq. This also included a rocket attack on an Iraqi base in December 2019 near Kirkuk that resulted in the death of an American civilian contractor and in the injury of four service members.
The rocket attack on the K1 base led to the US airstrike against senior Iranian military commander Qasem Soleimani and therefore the subsequent Iranian missile strike retaliation.
Deployment of over 5,000 US troops is in Iran to support the local forces in battles against the Islamic State terror group, mainly providing training and advising for them.