We know the deadly COVID-19 doesn't discriminate. If our beloved Tom Hanks can get infected, then anyone can. Even the royal family of England is not immune.
Reportedly, a royal aide at Buckingham Palace was found to test positive for coronavirus, following which Queen Elizabeth II shifted out of the palace to Windsor Castle indefinitely on Thursday as a “precaution”. As per UK media reports, it is not known how close the infected royal aide would have got to the Queen but every member of Royal Household staff the person came into contact with has since been placed under self-quarantine.
The 93-year-old monarch has canceled all her engagements and reports say she is healthy.
“The worker tested positive before the Queen left for Windsor. But the Palace has 500 members of staff so, like any workplace, it’s not inconceivable it would be affected in some stage,” ‘The Sun’ quoted a royal source as saying.
Last week, the unnamed royal aide was ill, after which he had tested positive for the novel virus.
The Palace has declined to comment on staff members but has assured that all necessary steps have been taken in accordance with guidelines to protect employees. “We wouldn’t comment on individual members of staff. In line with the appropriate guidance and our own processes, we have taken the necessary actions to protect all employees and people involved,” a palace spokesperson said.
The number of cases is surging in the UK with over 233 deaths reported so safe. In a recent statement, the monarch had thanked health officials in the front line of the pandemic.
“We are enormously thankful for the expertise and commitment of our scientists, medical practitioners and emergency and public services; but now more than any time in our recent past, we all have a vitally important part to play as individuals – today and in the coming days, weeks and months,” she said.