BEIJING: The death toll due to the deadly coronavirus outbreak in China has surged to 2,835, health authorities said on Saturday, while the amount of confirmed cases has increased to 79,251.
Chinese health officials said that it received reports of at least 427 new confirmed cases of the novel virus infection and 47 deaths on Friday on the mainland, Xinhua reported.
Out of the 47 deaths, 45 were in Hubei Province, one in Beijing and Henan respectively, confirmed the National Health Commission.
On Friday, another 248 new suspected cases were reported said the commission.
On Friday, 2,885 people were discharged from hospital after recovery, while the amount of severe cases decreased by 288 to 7,664.
The commission also said that 1,418 people were still suspected of being infected with the virus.
A total of 39,002 people had been discharged from hospital after recovery.
The commission added that 658,587 close contacts had been traced, adding that among them, 10,193 were discharged from medical observation Friday, with 58,233 others still under medical observation.
On Friday midnight, 94 confirmed cases including two deaths had been reported within the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), 10 confirmed cases within the Macao SAR and 34 in Taiwan including one death.
As many as 30 patients in Hong Kong, eight in Macao and nine in Taiwan had been discharged from hospital after recovery.