In the wee hours of Wednesday morning, Iran carried out an attack involving 15 missiles Tehran that was fired at U.S. targets in Iraq. This attack comes as retaliation for the drone strikes on the Baghdad international airport that resulted in the killing of Iraq's top commander Qasem Soleimani and important military figure Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis.
Iranian state television reported on Wednesday that at least 80 “American terrorists” were killed in the missile attacks, adding that not one of the 15 missiles fired were intercepted. They also added that U.S assets like helicopters and military equipment were “severely damaged”. Citing a senior Revolutionary Guards as their source, they said that Iran had 100 other targets in the region in its sights in case Washington took any retaliatory measures.
Even as Iran media reported 80 deaths, United States President Doland Trump tweeted "ALL IS WELL."
Shortly after Iran launched over a dozen missiles targetting two military bases used by the US forces in Iraq as a response to the recent airstrike, Trump took to his twitter handle to assure citizens that everything was fine.
“All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning,” said the President in his tweet.
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
Jonathan Hoffman, chief Pentagon spokesperson said in a statement: “It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting US military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil.”