NEW DELHI: Out of the people who have attended the Muslim congregation at Nizamuddin's Markaz. 24 people have been tested positive for novel coronavirus so far, Satyendra Jain, Delhi Health Minister said on Monday. He further said that 1033 people have been evacuated so far and the government, however, is not sure how many people attended the three-day religious ceremony but it is estimated that around 1500-1700 people gathered there earlier this month.
Out of the 1033 people evacuated, 334 have been sent to hospitals and the remaining have been sent to quarantine centers. The minister added that as the organizers of the event had committed a grave crime and therefore the Delhi government has urged Delhi Lt Governor Anil Baijal to take strict actions. Jain said, "Disaster Act and Contagious Diseases Act was enforced in Delhi, no assembly of more than 5 people was allowed. Still, they did this. I have written to Lt Governor to take the strictest action against them. Delhi government has given the order to file FIR."
A high-level meeting is being conducted at the residence of Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal over the rising concern of coronavirus and the Markaz incident. Health Minister Jain, Deputy CM Manish Sisodia and other officials are also present there.
DCP South East R.P Meena said on Tuesday, "We have served notices for holding a religious gathering here (in Nizamuddin) during coronavirus lockdown. We are examining the matter. Action will be taken if required and then FIR will be filed immediately."
Telangana's six people, who attended the Nizamuddin congregation held from March 13 to 15 at Markaz building, died due to the virus. The state's government claim that the COVID-19 has spread among some of those who attended the Delhi's event.
The Nizamuddin area is undergoing intense sanitization after the news spread like wildfire. As a contingency plan, the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium is also being prepared to be used as isolation chambers.