Nirbhaya Case: Court Issues Death Warrant; Execution On Jan 22 at 7.00am

Publish On: 07 Jan, 2020 05:46 PM | Updated   |   Sj Desk  

A Delhi court, on Tuesday, issued death warrant against all 4 convicts - Pawan Gupta, Mukesh, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Kumar Singh, who were on death row after being held guilty of Nirbhaya's gang-rape, torture and killing on 16 December, 2012. Their execution to be held on 22nd January at 7am.

While pronouncing the death warant, the additional sessions judge Satish Kumar Arora said that the Convicts can use their legal remedies within 14 days. All four convicts were produced before the court through video conferencing.

The 'Death warrant' was urged to the court by the prosecution stating that there was no application pending right now before any Court or President Ram Nath Kovind by any of the convicts and the review petition of all of them was dismissed by the Supreme Court.

Lawyer of the convicts AP Singh, however, said that they were in the process of filing curative petition in the apex court.

Reacting to the judgement, Nirbhaya's parents said that it was a long journey and they are happy with the verdict. Nirbhaya's mother Asha Devi stated that her daughter has now got justice. "The execution of the four convicts will empower the women of the country this decision will strengthen the trust of people in the judicial system", stated Nirbhaya's mother.

The Delhi Commission for Women also said that it was a judgement that would empower the women of the country.

Akshay Thakur Singh, Mukesh, Pawan Gupta and Vinay Sharma were found guilty of the 2012 infamous Nirbhaya gangrape and murder case. They were held for torturing and killing a young medical student in the national capital. Last month the Supreme Court had dismissed the last review petition filed by Akshay Singh. Nirbhaya's parents had then asked the Lower court to issue the death warrant but the judge had deferred the decision for today.

Besides these four convicts there were two more accused in the case - Ram Singh and a juvenile. While Singh committed suicide inside the jail, Juvenile was released after staying 3 years in a reform home.