BENGALURU: On Monday, health officials sais that the Karnataka Health and Family Welfare Services department has put 284 under observation in a complete house isolation to test them for possible symptoms of the deadly coronavirus.
"We are observing 284 people across the state, including in Bengaluru, for coronavirus symptoms," the department's communicable diseases wing joint director Prakash Kumar told IANS. However, there has been no confirmed case in Karnataka so far.
Currently, one person has been admitted to the hospital for coronavirus symptoms, Kumar confirmed.
After 3 cases were confirmed in Karala, five districts in Karnataka that shared border with Krala were under surveillance. The districts were Dakshina Kannada, Kodagu, Udupi, Chamarajanagar and Mysuru
As a means of precaution, starting from January 20 till Monday, 39,391 passengers have gone through the process of thermal screening for coronavirus at the Kempegowda International Airport (KIA).
Of all the people screened at the airport, only three had a history of visiting coronavirus epicentre Wuhan in China. a complete of 180 people travelled to China aside from Wuhan, while 1,984 people travelled to other coronavirus affected countries.
According to the health department's bulletin, the planet Health Organization (WHO) has declared a coronavirus epidemic affecting 28 countries as an 'International Public Health Emergency'.
Of the 245 coronavirus symptomatic samples sent for examination, 240 were marked as eligible for testing whilst 238 samples are declared negative from the state thus far.
The 104 Arogya Sahayavani call centre, assigned to receive calls to supply guidance on coronavirus, has attracted 6,770 calls so far.
"In case people with recent travel history to China and other affected countries develop any symptoms, they are requested to call 104 or health authorities and provide all necessary details in order to take precautionary measures and are requested to be home isolated," the health department said.
Also, 179 passengers screened by the health department have completed the mandatory 28-day observation period.
The deadly virus has killed a total of 2,912 people in China, bringing the worldwide death toll to 3,000, authorities said on Monday.