While life in China is returning back to normalcy after the deadly COVID-19 outbreak, the country is not all cleared off trouble. The mainland is witnessing a growing number of imported coronavirus cases, that may fan a second wave of infections at a time when “domestic transmission has basically been stopped”, a spokesman for the National Health Commission (NHC) said on Sunday.
“China already has an accumulated total of 693 cases entering from overseas, which means the possibility of a new round of infections remains relatively big,” Mi Feng said.
According to the commission's data, China has reported 313 imported cases of coronavirus but only six confirmed cases of domestic transmission in the past week. Most of these imported cases are of Chinese nationals returning home from overseas.
Following a rise in imported cases, the government put entry restrictions on foreigners entering the country and ordered airlines to sharply cut international flights from Sunday.
The Chinese city of Wuhan, where the coronavirus pandemic originated last December, reported five deaths on Saturday. However, the city reported just one case of the novel virus in the last 10 days. The country has so far recorded over 81,439 infections with a death toll of 3,300.
With the exception of Wuhan’s Tianhe airport, all airports in Hubei resumed some domestic flights on Sunday. Flights from Hubei to Beijing remain suspended.
The country was successful in flattening the curve of growing COVID-19 cases by stringent "stay at home" policies. WHO and health authorities are urging people all over the world to stay in their homes in order to contain the spread of the pandemic that has infected more than 7,00,000 people worldwide.